Go Back   Alberta Supra Club > Member Galleries > Supra Club Member Rides

Unread 01-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
Supra_devil

Send a message via MSN to Supra_devil
UZE86 build

NOT MINE, but its being built in my garage and belongs to my friend Matt

Quote:
Originally posted by ChromeDragon
So I have had this Corolla for about three years now and it has undergone some crazy changes over the years. I'm not going to get into too much detail now, but this build will be ongoing through the winter here in preparation for the 2009 racing and drifting seasons.

My ultimate goal for 2009 is to have myself and the car ready to run the GT support race at the Edmonton Indy.

Here is how the car started out when I bought it back in 2005.

All that was done at that point was the MKII Supra wheels and a crappy Ractive intake filter.

I drove it that way for a few months, then lowered the car on some Eibach springs and drove it that way for most of the summer of 2006. As you can see, the springs were a bit soft.

That winter with the help of Glenn (Supradevil) the car was boosted and received a few suspension changes. TRD shocks, ridiculously stiff AFCO springs for the rear. It drifted, but it wasn't pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAbfQ7mcn2Q

So in the summer of 2007 the car underwent a transformation. The engine popped in the fall of 2006 from my being a dumbass and overloading it at low RPM on the highway. So that engine came out and another stocker went in, with which I spent a little more time paying attention to the A/F ratios and it ran solid for the next two seasons with a LOT of track and street time.

The majority of the transformation was cosmetic in 2007. The car received new paint, real suspension (coilovers in the front, Swift springs in the back, Tokico Illuminas all the way around, Cusco anti-sway bars, fender braces ... and the list goes on). Also thrown into the mix were some 15x8 0 offset Sportmax 002 wheels.

At the end of the day, literally the car was painted in a day just before a drift event, the stickers were put onto paint just 16 hours old, this is how she looked. The kit is v-speed, cheap, but it works.

The car stayed that way through the 2007 season and held up quite well, save for an exploding ring and pinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf8SIt0g6b4

Then the car received some more upgrades in the spring of 2008. Origin wide body fenders, proper JDM bumper lights and some paint touchups.

At the end of this summer I decided to take the plunge and step up to 17s. Normally they look crazy huge on a Corolla, but the right wheel can look decent if you ask me.

Next up, the true definition of a transformation.

Glenn
Supra_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Supra_devil

more
Quote:

The car has gone through some changes, for sure. But nothing compared to what's currently happening. The car has been stripped down completely in preparation for sandblasting and a basic primer before it comes back for all of the fabrication work.

The plans for the car over the winter include:

- Full GT racing spec roll cage tied into all suspension points in the car
- Lexus 1uzfe 4.0-litre V8
- Fully built MKIII Supra R154 5 speed transmission (already being built in Calgary)
- All of the ridiculously expensive custom parts from Australia to adapt this transmission to an engine that never came with a manual tranny
- Custom one-piece driveshaft
- Nissan S13 independent rear suspension and differential(s)
- Custom coilovers at all four corners
- Upgraded brakes, likely Z32 calipers and rotors
- Wilwood clutch and brake pedal assembly with dual brake master cylinders and built in remote-adjustable balance bar for adjusting brake bias on the fly
- Standalone engine management
- Custom gauge cluster
- Fully rewiring car from scratch
- Custom trunk floor made to house fuel cell, surge tank and battery securely and safely
- Dual fuel pumps to ensure surge tank never runs low on fuel
- Custom housing for coolant, power steering and washer fluid
- All windows removed, side and rear replaced with Lexan, front with new windshield
- Bracing removed from trunk, hood and doorskins
- A whole schwackload of smaller changes to the interior and exterior

The car was stripped down over the last week or so.

This is how it sat about five days ago. Doors, fenders, engine, front suspension and most of the interior removed.

A whole bunch of the interior crap that was pulled out.

Taking stuff out of Glenn's garage so things can stay nice and tidy while we work on the car. The engine, turbo setup and rear differential were snapped up by Corolla lovers ridiculously quickly.

Glenn welding together a bracket for the rear of the car to go up on the rotisserie.

Glenn
Unread 01-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Supra_devil

and more
Quote:
And up on the rotisserie she goes.

Glenn prepares to cut out the trunk floor and panhard mount. I'm not sure I'll ever want to work on a car on the ground again after this.

Here we can see the mounts for the rotisserie. There is another plate sandwiched on the inside of the frame rail. This unit is solid!

So the trunk floor has been cut out and it was dropped off at the sandblasters to test how well the blasting will go on the paint and undercoating. We want it stripped completely bare to ensure optimum contact and strength in all of the welds.

Going off what the sandblaster said there shouldn't be any issues with blasting this thing right clean. After that there will be a bit of rust repair and some panels will be cut out and/or welded up. First thing will likely be figuring out positioning of the rear subframe and suspension. Once positioned the roll cage will be tied into all of the mounts. By the time the cage is finished the hope is that the parts will be here from Australia and the engine and tranny positioning can begin.

Glenn
Unread 01-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Supra_devil

without the monkey, this build would not be possible

tada, like magic the trunk disappeared!

Glenn
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Bri-Guy

Awesome. Looks like it will be sweet once it is finished. Monkey is cool.

Love how you left the licence plate on, is that so that you can "park" it on the street????

Looking forward to the updates of this thing coming back together.

89 Blue hardtop
7M rebuilt the RIGHT way, what's next???
Bri-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Dan_Gyoba

Send a message via ICQ to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Skype™ to Dan_Gyoba
Sweet project! Looking forward to updates!

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:
Stereo construction needed.
7M-GTE needs to be broken in
Should install Walbro fuel pump

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Driftmotion Action Stage 3 clutch pics
Dan_Gyoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Keros

Send a message via MSN to Keros
Thanks for posting this glenn. I remember seeing this car at Big T's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael
I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you're having a college party, remember to invite bitches, or else your new engine will blow up.
Keros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
Funkycheeze

I should post some pics of the gearbox build too!
Unread 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
annoyingrob

I remember seeing this build on another site. driftwest perhaps?

So you're using a V160 adapter plate and a 1JZ bellhousing I assume? Or do you have some other crazy way of putting the R154 on to the 1UZ.
Unread 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Supra_devil

you have to get a bellhousing from aus. only way that i know of to do it.

ryan, posting pics of the tranny would be cool.

Glenn