Alberta Supra Club  

All Albums / Galleries Timeslip Database
Go Back   Alberta Supra Club > Member Galleries > Supra Club Member Rides

Unread 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Franco
Administrator

Hopefully this clutch will be easier to do then that last one..
If you want a hand let me know ahead of time and ill see if I can help out.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #22
Dan_Gyoba

Send a message via ICQ to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Skype™ to Dan_Gyoba
The last time it was just the starter that gave me all sorts of grief... Oh wait. And the pilot bearing.

Anyway, I don't think that I can afford the new parts right now, so it looks like step 1 will be to remove the clutch from the '89 so that I can install it in the '90.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:
Stereo construction needed.
7M-GTE needs to be broken in
Should install Walbro fuel pump

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Driftmotion Action Stage 3 clutch pics
Dan_Gyoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
Dan_Gyoba

Send a message via ICQ to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Skype™ to Dan_Gyoba
Thinking out loud here as to how I'm going to get all the stuff out that I need. It would probably make sense to do everything (or at least as much of everything) that I need for this all at once, though the prospect is somewhat scary.

That means that step 1 is to finish assembly of my rebuilt motor. I still need to do the valve adjustments. I know you're supposed to be able to swap shims while the cams are in, but I might end up having to pull them. Ah well.

I was planning on re-using the 550cc injectors currently in the '89, but that assumes some disassembly of that engine, and I don't know that I'm that prepared as of yet. I guess that it might not matter, I might have to grit my teeth and just do it. I need a bunch of other stuff from under the hood of the '89 anyway, like the turbo, and exhaust. That manifold already has a 1/4 NPT tap for an EGT sensor, so I might as well use that too. Add in that I'll probably take the whole clutch assembly and transplant it into the '90, and it's a pretty complete tear-down. Oh yeah. I want to transplant the radiator, too... Okay. I've convinced myself again. For now.

Okay, so tear down the '89 and finish building the engine for installation into the '90. I will have to use the wiring harness that's in the '90 already, so I might have to have all 3 motors in the garage (And have 2 Supras without motors outside) at the same time. Ugh. But possible.

Intake stuff from the '89 has to make its way into the '90 to go with the turbo. No big deal there, I suppose. The intercoolers are similar. The '89 has a Spearco replica, the '90 has a real Spearco. That makes some things easier at least.

The next step though is getting the block on the stand ready for the injectors, so... Cams, shim the valves, cam covers, lower intake manifold. Don't get too carried away, since I have to check that the '90 wiring harness will plug into the engine.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
Franco
Administrator

So ultimately you are looking at pulling both motors, swapping all the goodies to the built motor and dropping it into the 90'. Correct?
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #25
Dan_Gyoba

That's the current plan, yes.

"Goodies" so far include:

Koyo radiator (In '89)
550cc injectors (in '89)
Lexus AFM (In '89)
Remote filter adapter and oil cooler (in box)
Aeromotive AFPR (In '89 -- though might just buy another instead)
Spearco IC (In '90)
Action Stage 3 clutch (In '89)
Apexi AVC-R (In box)
Zeitronix Wideband/EGT/Datalogger (In box)
Dual pillar gauge pod, including Autometer Vac/Boost gauge (in '89)
Silicone hose kit (In box)
Full 3"+ exhaust (In '89)
Doward BBK (In box)
Brand new GR2 struts (in box)
Full security system w/remote start (In winter beater)
Sound system (Some in box, some to be purchased)

Once the '90 is at least running, even if everything isn't actually installed, I'll start tear-down on the engine currently in the '90 to send it out for machine work, then I'll put it back together. I'm aiming closer to stock specs for this engine, since there's a possibility of a teenaged driver for it when it's done... If I have to let her drive a Supra, it should probably be the one she's lived her whole life with, and probably should not have stupid amounts of power to tempt the teenaged brain.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
Dan_Gyoba

I was going to get more work done on pulling the transmission from my '89. Opened the garage and instead, got a bit of work done on the motor.

Installed the cams. Valve clearances look good by eyeball, still haven't put feeler gauges in there though. One of the pins on the cams is missing, and isn't in the box of stuff that I got back from the machine shop. I guess I need one of those. This makes it difficult to rotate the cam for checking clearance.

One of those funny bolts (8X1.25mm thread, 10mm head) for the EGR cooler is missing, too, so I just put it on with 7 bolts. Gasket set that I have has a paper gasket for the EGR cooler. Seems like it might not be a good idea to me, I'm pretty sure that the OEM gasket is metallic...

Installed the cam oil seals (The crank timing gear makes an excellent tool to push the cam seals in) and timing backplate on the head. Installed a new timing belt tensioner, installed the crank timing gear. The key for the timing gear was present and accounted for, but the one for the crank pulley is MIA, and not in the box of parts that I got back from the machine shop. Guess I need one of those, too.

I have 2 of the spacers between the head and the fuel rail, one of which is missing the black plastic piece. I guess I need 2 more of those as well.

Was going to install the #3 cylinder head cover, and discovered that 2 of the 4 of those big fasteners took a walk. I know I had them, so they're in the garage SOMEWHERE, dunno where.

So, I got nothing done that I had planned to, and found a bunch of stuff that I'm still missing. I guess that I'll have to pull an engine before I install this one, so it's not like I can't get this stuff, but it's kind of frustrating.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
Dan_Gyoba

More goodies!

Aeromotive AFPR kit. (Bought another one after all.)
RC 550cc injectors.

Now I can get more assembly sork done on the motor... Wait a minute. I need to get that damned clutch moved over first!

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
Dan_Gyoba

Installed the water outlet and CPS while getting distracted from the '89 again.

Kind of scary working under the car with no concrete driveway. I'm waiting for some concrete blocks before I start heavy wrenching to pull the transmission.

I did get under it today. I pulled the exhaust and driveshaft from the '89. The exhaust isn't going back, since I'm going to use it in the '90 (And install the exhaust currently in the '90 back in the '89 when it's all said and done.)

The driveshaft was pretty easy (Should be, I had it out relatively recently.)

Tried cleaning up the fuel rail, since it was pretty greasy.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
Dan_Gyoba

So after most of a can of engine degreaser, I can see most of the aluminum of the fuel rail. I figure that a jerry can of gas and a parts brush should get it reasonably clean at this point, but at current gas prices, I'm not exactly eager to use it as a cleaner... though it's still cheaper than the engine degreaser, to put it in perspective.

Still need the fuel rail standoffs before I can install the rail and my shiny new RC 500cc injectors. I guess I should just get another Lexus AFM, so that I can run both cars with upgraded fuel systems.

I'll need the wiring clips for the RC550s later, but not until it's ready to drop in.

Since the wiring harness goes on before the upper intake, I'm thinking that I'll transplant the upper intake from the engine currently in the car, thereby insuring compatability with things like TPS, ISC and the like with the engine wiring harness.

For the current clutch project, my current debate with myself is if I take the big turbo NOW, or wait. It adds some work to the clutch job to do it now, of course. I've decided that I'm taking the Koyo radiator now, however. I also intend to install the oil filter relocation kit and full-flow oil cooler. I would also like to install the wideband/EGT/boost control. Oh boy. Fuel cut here I come!

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
Grandavi

Send a message via MSN to Grandavi Send a message via Skype™ to Grandavi
Personally I would do your car in stages just to make it easier to troubleshoot. Add too much too fast and if it doesn't perform correctly your going to have more to question. Luckily your doing it yourself.. Lol
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote