Alberta Supra Club  

All Albums / Galleries Timeslip Database
Go Back   Alberta Supra Club > Meet Gallery > Supra Club Gallery

Unread 03-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #21
Grandavi

Send a message via MSN to Grandavi Send a message via Skype™ to Grandavi
My thoughts on "improving" over a R154 is... why?

I find that after getting my car to kick up now with the basic performance upgrades, its too fast. 3rd gear and I shift at about 170 kph... 4th speed and I am risking some pretty big tickets...
Got this thought rambling around in my head of figuring out a lower speed gearing with a faster acceleration and not so much top end... but that would be waaaaay down the road.

I wouldn't go really high end on transmission unless your racing professionally. I remember the highway between Swift Current and Regina (Regina is my hometown actually.. lol) and its a blast to drive as long as you watch for the RCMP. Flat and wide open...

but 240+ kph on any Canadian road is risking a news story ... or an obituary :P
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #22
Dan_Gyoba

Send a message via ICQ to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Skype™ to Dan_Gyoba
As has been proven by many a 7M Mk2 conversion, the transmission need only be as strong as is needed by the combination of 2 factors: Weight vs Traction. Since the Mk2 is a lighter weight car, most will get by just fine with the W58, with only a very few needing the R154.

In a Mk3 chassis, I've heard of a few breaking the R154, with most of those running some pretty large slabs of rubber in the rear for much better traction than the car would normally have. Some I'd probably also chalk up to some abrupt clutch shock as well, which should be avoidable.

Not so certain with a Mk4 chassis, I think the weight there is in between the Mk2 and Mk3, and I think that there's room for more tire than the Mk3 has. All told I'm thinking that it should be in about the same class as far as needed transmission strength. In terms of gearing, the R154 should be an easy choice.

For "lower gearing" my immediate thought is "traction limited" I'd start worrying ab out the transmission after re-doing the rear subframe and possibly tubbing out the rear end to take tires which won't be limited...

At some point though, I start thinking that if I wanted to get HERE, then I started with the wrong car. If I want the 6 speed transmission, I bet it's cheaper to start with one that already has it. It's definitely easier.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:
Stereo construction needed.
7M-GTE needs to be broken in
Should install Walbro fuel pump

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Driftmotion Action Stage 3 clutch pics
Dan_Gyoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #23
Keros

Send a message via MSN to Keros
I think we're talking about whether a swap to another transmission is about strength/reliability.

The OP is hinting it's about the prestige of the 6 speed. I can't disagree, anyone and everyone knows the Supra only had a 6 speed... every hon-duh douchebag out there is going to flip out when he hears it's a 5 speed instead.

It is generally true of turbo motors that upping the gear set in the rear end will reduce your 1/4 mile times because the motor will not experience the same loading. Hence that going from 3.73's to a 4.10 (and that's all you change) can up your time, not lower it.

If I recall, the turbo MkIV rear is 3.20, but the auto is like 4.10 or something like that.

My point about gearing is that the V160 is a close ratio gear box, and the ratios are laid out to use a really tall rear end, hence the 3.20. This gives the car a high top speed but able to keep the motor in its power band through the gears... relying on the rear end to scale up the transmission output speed at the wheels.

Since the auto rear is so much different in ratio, it needs to be changed as well.

Now, that's not withstanding all the hammering and re-wiring needing done to get a V160 into an auto MkIV. It's not even remotely like a A340-R154 swap in a MkIII... we're talking gutting the whole damn car, apparently. I've only read about it, and decided it was way too insane for me.

My point about the T56 magnum was that if you wanted a 6speed without all the work of the V160, you'd probably be better off. I'm sure it's worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael
I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you're having a college party, remember to invite bitches, or else your new engine will blow up.
Keros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
Grandavi

Send a message via MSN to Grandavi Send a message via Skype™ to Grandavi
The car needs to be though out totally, mind you. If its just for street, you shouldn't really touch the top end. Legally that's scary if you ever get caught. If its track, then it all changes because your going to need to think about max hp and its deliverance. 1/4 mile is probably better with a mated R154 in a Supra mk3, no experience with a mkiv to comment on.

I initially thought about the six speed but for Canada and running under 500 rwhp it made no sense. Better places for the time/money/headache... But we all dance to different drummers
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #25
Jeff Lange

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycheeze View Post
The floorpan is totally different in the 6 speed turbo cars VS the 5 speed and autos, to accomidate the extra girth and length of the V160. Plus V160 cars came with different rear end gearing to match up to the gear ratio differences between the V160 and 5 speeds/autos.

More than just a matter of swapping it in. Unless you are going to go turbo, stick with the W58 that is in there now.
I know this is an old post, but I'd like to clarify that the floor pans on MKIV are identical between 5-speed and 6-speed cars, and the only difference for auto cars is the top of the transmission tunnel where the shifter comes through. The 6-speed tunnels were no wider.

The rear end gearing is definitely different for the 6-speed though, Japan used 3.27:1 gearing for the TT, export cars used 3.13:1. N/A 6-speed cars in Japan used 3.77:1 gearing. 5-speed cars were 4.08:1.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD Stuff
1993 Team Mondor Previa RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #26
kyle

bump bump bump. btw only doing this to get rid of that hindu's messages that spammed all over here
Precision 6266 turb turb
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote