Alberta Supra Club  

All Albums / Galleries Timeslip Database
Go Back   Alberta Supra Club > Member Galleries > Supra Club Member Rides

Unread 01-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Dan_Gyoba

Send a message via ICQ to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Skype™ to Dan_Gyoba
Dan's 1990 turbo targa

Okay, so I brought it home. I am not going to winter drive it, but I did take it out for a little boo down the highway.

I'll re-post the pic:

The good:
1990 turbo targa. Runs nicely, once the ECU has re-learned the fuel curve. (Didn't want to idle after a dead battery.)
Body is probably 95%. There are some broken trim fasteners here and there, the paint is a bit faded and thin, so it will need paint. I'll probaby install the body kit that I have on it, which will take care of the fasteners. A couple of tiny rust spots, but those can be attended to before they become big problems, unlike my '89 NA-T.
Upgraded IC, BOV and piping. Probably worth keeping it all, but I'm considering options.
Decent exhaust.
The interior is mostly good, with exceptions.

The bad:
Waterfall sound in dash when first revving, so the cooling system is not 100%. Seems to be some evidence of something like Bars leaks in the cooling system, too, so I'm not likely to trust the radiator either.
Center console is kind of trashed. The lid is damaged, and the inside has an oily film all through. Steering wheel and shift knob leather is worn. (These are the "exceptions" for the interior)
X Drilled rear rotors. (Good news, I have a set of Brembo OEM replacement rotors. Anyone want the drilled ones?)
Battery frozen solid. That'll need to be replaced.
I'm not a fan of the fluttering sound that the BOV makes. I think that it's normal for the model, I just don't like it.
The stereo doesn't look so good, and the install is poorly done. I haven't seen what they did to the wiring, and I think that the OEM brackets are missing. Given what I can see, though I bet that the wiring harness was cut.
A/C is apparently nonfunctional.

I'll do minimal moving of the car for the next few months, I'll probably take it in for a security system install, new battery and the like on days when the roads are nice. I'm looking forward to cruising around with the roof off.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:
Stereo construction needed.
7M-GTE needs to be broken in
Should install Walbro fuel pump

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Driftmotion Action Stage 3 clutch pics
Dan_Gyoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
turbo tim

nice.
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Dan_Gyoba

Send a message via ICQ to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Skype™ to Dan_Gyoba
okay, so in the photo above you can see some of the blemishes. The driver's side mudflap is loose at the rear. I haven't taken it off to look underneath, but that is going to need some work. Or the bodykit. Probably the bodykit.

Took it to the car wash today, just because. It seemed sad to be covered in that much snow and crud. Besides, it's a way to be more certain of what I've gotten myself into.

Well, the targa seals leak some. No surprise there, I guess.

One spot of visible rust on the passenger side quarterpanel. It's probably affecting an area about the size of the palm of my hand. I'm more worried about the top of the A pillar, but that's relatively contained, and shouldn't be a water trap at least.

And another general shot. Just washed. Sort of. Just got most of the loose stuff off. Not much point in more than that until the roads are actually dry.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Franco
Administrator

All in all a great platform to start with. So most everything will be swapped over from the old one?
If so, will the motor from this car be swapped into the 5xxk chassi?
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Dan_Gyoba

Well, some stuff will be swapped over.

Still figuring things out, of course, but my current plans are:

The engine I'm building will be installed in this chassis, with the Turbonetics 60-1, Lexus AFM, 550cc injectors, Zeitronix Wideband, Apexi Neo and AVC-R. The turbo, AFM and injectors are currently in the '89. The Zeitronix and Apexi stuff hasn't been installed yet anywhere, so it's still open.aa

The engine currently in the '89... I haven't decided. I have a new crank for it, but there are a lot of unknowns to the condition of things, so I'm not sure what will become of it. I'll leave that until last.

The engine currently in the '90 will get torn down and rebuilt. I'll build it as a mostly stock motor. I'll probably do a MHG, and ARP studs, but keep the current pistons, so long as the cylinder bores will let me. I'll put it back together with the 440s and stock AFM, with the MBC set to something that won't cause fuel cut. I'll probably use the IC and piping that came with the '90. Probably overkill, but I'm okay with that.

Body repairs on the '90 ASAP, so that it can stay as a nice car.

Body repairs on the '89 as I can. It's going to turn into a long term project. I've told my daughter that maybe it'll be ready for her to drive when she graduates. That gives me 3 years or so to make the drivetrain roadworthy, and another 4 years or so after that to finish whatever still needs to be done on the body if I decide to give it to her on completion of a university degree.

It's in rough shape, so bodywork on this is an ambitious project to say the least. I'm fully aware that it's not worthwhile from an investment standpoint, which is why I bought the '90 in the first place. I'll do this as a hobby.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Keros

Send a message via MSN to Keros
Those rust spots... there's a bunch of different lubricants, like rust check, that you could maintain on them to prevent the rust from getting worse. It's no more ugly to have the lubricant sitting on it than bare rust, anyway.

I was using Rust Check on my old 4Runner, even a visit to the carwash didn't budge the coating much. Just be careful not to get it on you when you walk by the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael
I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you're having a college party, remember to invite bitches, or else your new engine will blow up.
Keros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Dan_Gyoba

Yeah, I'm not panicking about it.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Dan_Gyoba

Kids goofing around in the snow.

I'm planning on spending some time on the interior in the next while. A few bothersome things to fix here and there to make the interior look and feel the way that I want.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Dan_Gyoba

Surprise on the insurance front.

Liability insurance is relatively cheap, similar for the '90 as for the '89. (I was wondering about the difference between the '89 being NA from the factory versus the '90 as a turbo) but the big surprise was the comprehensive. $160/year for the '89, $560/year for the '90. WTF?! I can't see the 1 year newer making a 350% difference. I have to imagine that the targa top makes the majority of the difference. I guess that the car is more theft prone due to people leaving them around with the roofs off.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
Dan_Gyoba

Had to drive to Calgary today. No final drive in the Nissan, so I took the Supra. Weird having boost on cruise control.

The way back, I saw a LOT of police. Must have been a dozen speed traps between Red Deer and Leduc, and that's just the ones that I saw. Really glad that I was using the cruise control, though it seems that the "resume" button doesn't work right. I'll have to see what the reason for that is. I also apparently have to replace the windshield washer fluid pump. I guess I should test the ones for the headlights and rear windows too. I left them alone when the windshield sprayers didn't work.

I took a closer look at the stereo installation. Yep. Stock wiring all sliced up, no brackets, ugly ugly job. Well, I can fix that. Found a set of radio brackets on eBay, found an old DIN pocket in the basement. Not sure what I'm going to put in there, but I can't see myself keeping that deck.

Speedo is way out. It did something funky where the needle would precess when cold, so it was out. I pulled the speedo and reset the needle to zero, but it's off. At an indicated 40, it's fine. Indicated 100, about 92 on GPS. Indicated 125 is about 110. Indicated 140 is about 120. Didn't test above that point. There's a tension adjustment on the back, that I'm going to have to play with. I'd like the speedo to be at least accurate up to 120. After that it can do whatever it wants. The odometer is out by about 1.7% according to GPS, but this is within perfectly normal range, probably explainable by tire wear.

Can't wait 'till summer when I can take the top off.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics