Alberta Supra Club  

All Albums / Galleries Timeslip Database
Go Back   Alberta Supra Club >  General Discussion > MK5 2020+ Supra

Unread 01-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Franco
Administrator

Thoughts on the New Supra MK5

Today the new Supra MK5 was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show. I am happy to hear they have retained the 3.0L straight-6 turbo platform that has made these cars so popular.

This motor will make 335hp and 365ft/lbs, making it suprisingly similar to its predecessor (MK4 was rated at 320hp and 315ft/lbs) but it seems most people were expecting higher horse power figures. I personally can not wait to see what the aftermarket is able to pull out of this motor.
Apparently there will also be a 4-cylinder option. Seems this would make a great paper weight when all the 2J swaps start happening hahaha

The car will weigh 3397lbs and have a 50/50 weight distribution. This should make for great handling characteristics. I am curious if that will mean the new car is more at home on a circuit rather than a drag strip.

Sadly there is no mention of a manual transmission so far. Only a 8-speed auto with paddle shifters. On the plus side, the extra torque and the auto transmission propel the car from 0-100km/hr in 4.1 seconds. With the Supra being a grand touring car, it should making merging on the highway a breeze

I am eager to hear everyones opinion. So, what do you think of the new Supra so far?

Last edited by Franco; 01-15-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Deranged

I think it looks great! Very modern. It wasn't until I saw an actual picture of the new design, that I feel the A80 is finally starting to show her age. I might be biased though, because I've been loving the design direction Toyota/Lexus have been going for a while. I think the RC and the LC look incredible, even the new Camry.

If anything, the new arrival should breath some life into the Supra community and enthusiasts. Increase our vales and hopefully, finally put an end to the ol' Supra vs. GTR comparison with it's price point.

Can't wait to start seeing them on the road, cars always look much different in person than in picture.
Deranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
Franco
Administrator

I could not agree more. I look forward to seeing them in person so I am able to truly appreciate the new model.

I think the car will appeal to a different crowd. I don't think it will be as common on the drag strip but has a lot of potential on a circuit track. Either way I am eager to see how people adapt and modify the mk5.