Alberta Supra Club  

All Albums / Galleries Timeslip Database
Go Back   Alberta Supra Club >  Buy / sell / trade > Auto Parts

Unread 11-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
albenson

83 Supra antenna

Antenna does not extend/retract and motor runs. Can it be fixed or need to replace whole unit - if so - where can a replacement kit be found?
albenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
nnywg

There's a few options but you'll need to cobble something together. This is a good place to start. http://www.tscperformance.com/supra_antenna.html

I've got a generic fixed antenna that came with my car. You can just have it if you want, it's just on a shelf and destined for the bin.
nnywg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Dan_Gyoba

Send a message via ICQ to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Skype™ to Dan_Gyoba
I've installed a generic power antenna in a Mk2 before, and have done it on both my Mk3 Supras as well.

The main trick is to keep the hardware that goes on either side of the sheet metal stock.

It's possible to repair a power antenna, depending on what's broken. The antenna mast has a threaded connector on the bottom that connects to a nylon line which gets spooled up underneath everything. If the antenna mast is broken, then it's not too bad to fix, but if it stays DOWN, then it's more likely that it's the nylon line that's broken, which is much more difficult to repair, since the whole thing is under tension.

Personally, I opted to replace, and the generic parts are pretty easy to use.

The stock Toyota wiring is a bit different than the aftermarket. The stock has constant power, ground and 2 switched lines. One is strictly for the radio source, the other is if the deck is still on at all. This means that the antenna goes up if the radio is on, but keeps it up if you switch to another source (cassette, typically.) Lots of people change this behavior so that it goes down with the cassette, or disable this feature if installing an aftermarket deck that has antenna control. Be careful which one you use when you install the aftermarket antenna, which will typically have 3 wires.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:
Stereo construction needed.
7M-GTE needs to be broken in
Should install Walbro fuel pump

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Driftmotion Action Stage 3 clutch pics
Dan_Gyoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
albenson

83 antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnywg View Post
There's a few options but you'll need to cobble something together. This is a good place to start. http://www.tscperformance.com/supra_antenna.html

I've got a generic fixed antenna that came with my car. You can just have it if you want, it's just on a shelf and destined for the bin.
Thank you for the response. I would be interested in the antenna, it may be a good fit. Why did you remove it and replace it? Where can I drop by to chat and see the antenna? Regards
Unread 01-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
nnywg

It doesn't look particularly nice, and I'm in a big semi-restoration on the car. My plan is to weld the antenna hole shut to keep water out of the quarter panel. So probably no antenna at all for me.

Send me a PM, and we can arrange to get you that part. I'll have to make sure I can find it.
Unread 02-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
albenson

83 antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnywg View Post
It doesn't look particularly nice, and I'm in a big semi-restoration on the car. My plan is to weld the antenna hole shut to keep water out of the quarter panel. So probably no antenna at all for me.

Send me a PM, and we can arrange to get you that part. I'll have to make sure I can find it.
Don't know what a PM is. You can email me at albenson@telus.net or call me at 403-239-5283. Much appreciated
Unread 02-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
Dan_Gyoba

Send a message via ICQ to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_Gyoba Send a message via Skype™ to Dan_Gyoba
PM is a private message. Click on the username, and a selection menu will come up, one of which is "Send a private message to..."

This will allow you to leave your email address and phone number off of public space.

In the top right of the forum space, there will be a "welcome albenson" with "you last visited ... and "Private messages" which is a link to the message box where your private messages are. you will also (based on your profile preferences) be notified of private messages via email, and when you log into the forum.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics
Unread 02-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #8
nnywg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albenson View Post
Don't know what a PM is. You can email me at albenson@telus.net or call me at 403-239-5283. Much appreciated
Hi, I looked all over and can't find it. I must've thrown it out recently, it had been on a shelf for the longest time.

Canadian Tire and similar places have options too. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automo...cessories.html

And there's always Pick n' Pull
Unread 02-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
Dan_Gyoba

Hmmm... I should test the one in my '89 chassis. It might still work, it did when the car was parked a few years back.

'89NA-T, 499,XXX kms
Part-out in process, RIP

'90T, 289,XXX kms
What I need to fix:

eBay F1 clutch pics.
NA-T engine swap pics